Counsellor: Glaucia Barbosa
Glaucia is passionate about helping people. Her assessment follows a holistic approach in which physical, emotional and environmental factors need to be explored as they all play a significant role in the current symptoms. With her gentle and warm approach she seeks to comprehended all the aspects of the unique internal lived experience of each person within a respectful, non-judgmental, safe and confidential space, working together with the clients to find the most effective and positive solution. Her work is based on up-to-date scientific research.
Coming from Brazil in January of 2006 and having experienced the process of immigration herself, Glaucia became sensitive to cultural differences regarding beliefs, roles, values and expectations, which also enabled her to provide counselling and information to immigrants who are experiencing challenges related to the immigration and settlement process, such as homesickness, culture shock, language and working barriers, including asylum seekers who have survived torture or war related trauma.
Glaucia’s experience has been gained by working as a psychologist in Brazil for 15 years where she provided psychotherapy and career guidance for teenagers, psychological assessment for children, as well as integrative counselling and psychotherapy for adult clients experiencing chronic mental illness.
In Australia, she has been working as a counsellor in community organizations and private practice, as a group facilitator of a Women’s Migrant Support Group and facilitating workshops.
Issues treated in counselling include but are not limited to:
- Stress, anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, bullying, negative thoughts, grief and loss, health issues, gambling issues, drug and alcohol misuse, eating disorders, trauma, sexual abuse, domestic violence, personality disorders, phobias, panic attack, post-traumatic stress (PTSD), mood disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), relationship issues, support for families and cares from a culturally and linguistically diverse background (CALD), spiritual concerns, life stage adjustments, occupational issues, or other feelings which are impacting your life, decisions and choices.
- Bachelor Honors Degree in Psychology
- Registered Psychologist in Brazil since 1989- crp/RJ: 24517
- Master of Human Resources Management
- Psychoanalytical Group Therapy Specialist
- Certificate III in Community Services, Aged Care and Children’s Services
- Master of Counselling from The University of Queensland
How can counselling/psychotherapy help you?
Counselling is a talking therapy in which you share your feelings and difficulties, leading to uncover the roots of the problems, changing unhealthy behavior patterns, learning how to cope with feelings and symptoms and take steps to resolve the issues.
What will happen in your first consultation?
The first contact with the counsellor is an opportunity for you to ask any questions and also for the counsellor to ask you questions such as:
- Why are you seeking counselling?
- What is your current situation and personal history?
- What symptoms are you experiencing?
- Discussing clear boundaries that are important for the success of the treatment such as dates and times of the counselling sessions, confidentiality agreement, fees, payment and cancellation policy.
- Initial consultation 55 minutes: $90.00 (interview and assessment)
- Student and concession subsequent sessions: 55 minutes: $80.00
- Skype sessions: $70.00
- Fridays: 8am – 7pm
To organize an appointment, please contact Glaucia by email:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 0410 955 514 and she will be in touch with you shortly.